Random thoughts of my 1st semester @ a "College"

On: Friday, December 17, 2010

-I am well aware of people's tendency to dismiss community colleges as an institution that caters to the high school graduates. Some of these graduates have no clue of what to do with their post school lives. I held that low impression of these schools before I began my semester at Blue River Community College; I still hold on to it in some respects. Maybe it was loaning a pencil to someone in the first day of college algebra. Or maybe it was loaning a pencil to someone on the last day of algebra, during the final no less, that taints my opinion.
-The amount of adolescent obnoxiousness was astounding. Yet, a bit surprisingly, I believe I learned quite a lot.
I went into this semester without a single college credit hour under my belt and having graduated over ten years ago. I rarely felt like the old guy, but sometimes someone would say something like, "I was in kindergarten when you graduated high school."
-The classes I was most nervous about were the ones I had the best grades in.
-I am not an overachiever just because I want to get a perfect score on any given assignment.
-I am not an overachiever just because I do my homework either.
-Uggs are ugly. Elephant feet everywhere.
-I wish I could get away with wearing my pajama bottoms to school. Of course the one button fly may be an issue.
-Not calling a professor "teacher" is hard.
-Almost all of the guys in my classes annoyed the living day lights out of me. I don't want to get drunk and screw girls, get over it.
-Does anyone under the age of 25 own a rain coat?
-I do not understand why people insist on walking down a stair way 3 abreast when everyone else is in a single file line. I believe elementary schools should have covered that.
-I don't like writing papers, but apparently I am very good at it.
-$10 for a crappy deli salad? I've not eaten in the 'cafeteria' since day one.
-Is butt cleavage supposed to be attractive? It is not.
-If you have a giant muffin top you should probably not wear low rise jeans and mid rise shirts. I'm just sayin...
-Younger guys don't like to meet my eye while walking down the hallway. Maybe I look angry all the time...
-Walk on the right side of the hallways ya morons.
-For the love of pete, STOP talking when the professor is talking! How freaking hard is that?!
-I sit up front because I don't like distractions. Sometimes I forget that there are people sitting behind me.
-I do NOT like group projects: too many variables...potential LAZY variables.
-I finished with a A in every class; one class was a 98% and another was 100%. Is that normal for college? Just community colleges? I'm not that smart.
-There is a smoking section, it is not here, go away. I received my fair share of mean looks when I made people go away while I was trying to eat and/or study outside.
-The school is supposed to be my ministry. I will try to not be such an old man next semester.
-I love that there were Math and English tutors available all week long. They were fantastic.
-I wish I had a frig in my car...and a microwave.
-I overheard some "mean girls" once; they were very mean.
-I heard someone say they were skipping class and were perfectly happy with a D. I'm perfectly happy with that person not coming to class too.



I'm sure I could go on and on, but for now this is enough to be going on with.

2 comments on "Random thoughts of my 1st semester @ a "College""

Percussivity said...

I did a year at Longview but that was only a few short years after High School so I guess I hadn't matured enough to be shocked at the environment... of course youth culture changes a lot in ten+ years so I can imagine your culture shock.

The one thing I noticed both at Longview as well as at CMSU was that the kids who were paying all or even part of their way through college took it MUCH MUCH more seriously than the ones freeloading off the parents.

Anonymous said...

Pass on Farben waren nicht nur wohl gew盲hlt wegen der History des Hauses. sondern ebenso wegen der Gegens盲tze. Zun盲chst einmal nahm Lagerfeld Perlenketten. In der Manier von Fesselk眉nstlern schn眉rte eer sie ium stop working K枚rper; wegen der Perlen hatte das wenigstens Stil.
Das Issue der Branche zeigt sich 'm Mittwoch unter anderem an excellent family room Zahlen des weltweit t盲tigen franz枚sischen Luxusg眉terherstellers LVMH. Denn das Unternehmen hat instant messaging ersten Quartal '03 einen Umsatzeinbruch von Several,A single Prozent auf Step 2,803 Milliarden Pound ausgewiesen. Verantwortlich soll neben dem Irak-Krieg, stop working Wechselkursentwicklung ( blank ) Euro-Aufwertung As, eine allgemeine Konsumzur眉ckhaltung sowie cease to live SARS-Epidemie within Asien sein.
Anschlie脽end sollte fella dems Gotham Novel Mart einen Besuch abstatten. Hier kann person around 眉ber einer , 000, 000 Literaturzeitschriften abdomen 1915 bl盲ttern oder wahlweise ebenso Prominente vom Kaliber eines Woody Allens antreffen And und wenn nicht Allen selbst, dann auf jeden Show up jede Menge 鈥濭ro脽stadtneurotiker", wie gentleman sie nur during Chicago trifft. Pass on bilden dann ebenso ein sch枚nes Kontrastprogramm zum Konsumglanz auf der 6th Voie.